Frequently Asked Questions


Vocational Training Institute has a range of facilities and services to support learning and to help you get the most out of your time with us.

Visit our Student Support Service office to get face-to-face support, advice and information.

International Students Support

Our International Student Support team will support you from your initial inquiries through to your course completion. We want to ensure that your time as a student at Vocational Training Institute is as rewarding as possible.

Supports available

We will work to make your experience at Vocational Training Institute positive. We understand the challenges international students face as you adjust to a new culture and environment, make new friends, and successfully complete your studies. Be assured you are not alone. We are here to help.

We offer you:

  • Airport reception service on your arrival in Melbourne (this must be pre-booked).
  • An Orientation program to assist with your transition to living in Melbourne and studying at Vocational Training Institute.
  • Assistance and support on cultural issues, transition to life in Melbourne, study concerns and general questions.
  • Support and encouragement.
  • A range of social activities and programs.
  • An after-hours contact number.

Academic Support

Vocational Training Institute provides a range of academic support programs to all students,

  • Improving LLN Skills
  • Report writing skills
  • English Grammar
  • Effective Note taking skills
  • Reference Sources
  • effective ways to study and manage your time.

Financial Advice

If you are having a hard time financially we have professional staff who can provide you with financial advice and assistance with study and living costs.

  • General budget help
  • Accommodation & your finances
  • Transport & parking costs
  • Tax return advice

Housing & Accommodation

We can provide you with free advice and assistance with housing, tenancy problems and your finances.

Our Student Support Service provides students with:

  • free advice and assistance when looking for housing
  • Housing Options
  • Rental advice
  • advice on tenancy issues

Career services for Students

We also offer career and employment services for students.

We also regularly runs workshops on career development skills such as:

  • Help search for part-time and casual jobs
  • job applications
  • interview skills
  • planning co-curricular activities
  • developing career resilience.

Disability Support

Support and resources available for students with a disability.


Course adjustment

To make sure you are able to fulfil your course requirements, we can provide adjustments such as:

  • inclusive teaching methods and practice
  • provision of copies of overheads/notes
  • allowing classes to be audio taped (where appropriate)
  • negotiating alternative assessment arrangements

Alternative arrangements

We can arrange special or alternative support to enhance your learning or performance in your assessments through:

  • special seating arrangements
  • extra time for assessment tasks
  • extensions for assignments
  • adjusted or alternative assessments tasks where necessary

Health Advice

We can provide advice and information.

Doctors and other health service providers:

Where possible, it is a good idea to call first and make an appointment. It is also worth asking the health practitioner if they offer a discount to students.

Always take your OSHC card and student ID card:

City precinct (Flinders, King and Queen campuses)

There are a number of hospitals and general practitioners:

Dr Marguerite Hall and Dr Jill Morison (William Angliss Medical Centre)

Level 2, Building C, 555 LaTrobe Street, Melbourne

Phone: +61 3 9606 2208

Hours: 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Fee information:

  • Direct Billing for Overseas Student Health Care (OSHC) & Medibank
  • No gap fee

Medical One

292 Swanston St, Melbourne

Phone: +61 3 8663 7000

Fee information:

  • Direct bills OSHC & Medibank – $15.00 gap fee will be charged

Union Health Service (Swanston Street Medical Centre)

393 Swanston Street, Melbourne

Phone: +61 3 9654 2722

Fee information:

  • $15 gap payment for overseas students with Medibank Private, OSHC (Allianz), AHM and BUPA overseas student health cover.

Royal Melbourne Hospital

Grattan St, Parkville

Phone: +61 3 9342 7000

St Vincent’s Hospital

41 Victoria Parade Fitzroy

Phone: +61 3 9288 2211

Melbourne Dental Clinic (MDC)

Level 1/723 Swanston Street, Carlton

Phone: +61 3 9035 8402


Treatment fees are based on the training level of the attending dentist and the complexity of the treatment.

Union Health Dental Service (Swanston Street Medical Centre)

393 Swanston Street, Melbourne

Phone: +61 3 9662 2466

Fee information: 25% discount off basic fee

LifeCare Physiotherapy – Mark Opar

Level 8, 140 Queen St, Melbourne

Phone: +61 3 9670 3051

After hours medical care

Home Visiting Doctors are doctors that come and treat you and your family at home every night, weekends and public holidays

They visit on behalf of your GP when they are closed, and visit every suburb across Melbourne, Geelong and surrounds daily.

Home Visiting Doctor is not an appointment service. All home visits are scheduled according to their urgency.

International students with current OSHC (Allianz) will be ‘Direct billed’.

Phone: +61 3 9429 5677


NURSE-ON-CALL puts you directly in touch with a registered nurse for caring, professional health advice around the clock

For emergencies you should always call 000 – but at other times Nurse-on-call may be your best choice for health advice.

Phone: 1300 60 60 24

Complaint Resolution

Find out how you can resolve your issue or make a complaint.

Vocational Training Institute has a Student Complaint Resolution Policy o guide you through the steps you can take to resolve problems. Our process encourages students to be independent and effective problem solvers.


You should try to resolve the problem yourself before lodging an official complaint. We have a three-step process to help you.

Step 1 – identify the problem and a solution

Clarify your problem and, if you can, think of some possible solutions. You can then approach the most appropriate staff to talk about your concerns.


  • academic – if your problem is related to your, you can contact your course coordinator,
  • non-academic – for problems not directly related to your study you can the student support service officers.

Step 2 – seek assistance

You have free and confidential access to our support services to assist you with your problem:

Step 3 – initiate action

Speak to the relevant staff member and try to work out reasonable and realistic solutions.


If you are unable to resolve your issue after using the three-step process you can:

  • Lodge a written complaint.


if you are dissatisfied with the decision about your complaint by a Vocational training Institute Officer, you may lodge an appeal by following the Student Appeals Procedure


The Victorian Ombudsman independently investigates complaints about RTO’s. They are impartial and do not act on behalf of students or RTO.

The Ombudsman will encourage you to use the internal complaint resolution procedures first.

Contact the Victorian Ombudsman

Phone: +61 3 9613 6222 or 1800 806 314

Fax: +61 3 9614 0246


Address: Level 9, 459 Collins Street, Melbourne 3000.

Emergency Services

  • Is someone seriously injured or in need of urgent medical help?
  • Is your life or property being threatened?
  • Have you just witnessed a serious accident or crime?

If you answered YES, call Triple Zero (000). Calls to Triple Zero are free

Emergency services are provided to help all Australians, including international students. The staff who work for these services are highly approachable and helpful.

If you ever find yourself in an emergency you can call ‘000’ for:

  • police
  • fire
  • ambulance

This is a free call and can be dialed from all mobile phones, even those without credit. If you place a call to any of these services, the telephone operator will provide assistance until help arrives.

To speak to someone in your own language ask the operator for a translator.

What should I do if my request is not satisfied?

Typically, we process and respond to student’s and other’s requests with 100% satisfaction. If your initial request has been rejected, you can follow our Complaints and Appeals Policy and Procedure for further steps to satisfy your request.

Where and how can I submit a request form?

If you have any requests, please download the form and fill it in with the required details; then, you can bring it to our office and see administrative staff or send it via email at

Is there any situation that my enrolment will be cancelled?

There are some common cases in which your enrolment may be cancelled:
– Non-commencement of studies
– Non-payment of a fee
– Students misbehaviours
You can refer to our Deferring, Suspending and Cancelling Policy and Procedure for more details.

If my visa is refused before the commencement date, can I get the refund and if yes, how many days will I get it back to my account?

• If a student’s initial visa is not granted, a request for a refund in writing (via Refund Request Form) and proof of visa refusal from Immigration must be provided to VTI no later than 28 days after the visa refusal.
• Without proof of refusal from Immigration, NO refund will be issued.
• The entitled refund will be made to the Student within 4 weeks after the written request and evidence of documentation is received.

Refer to our Refund Policy and Procedure for more details.

How long does a contract often take?

One year contract will be signed after VTI and an agent agree with all terms and conditions. 

Do we need to meet any sales objectives?

We have a flexible policy to our agents; thus, we do not require it.

How Do I Get Started?


Free 10 Min Chat

Let us get to know each other!

Book Appointment

Have an official talk.

Get Started!

Start experiencing our best services.